Skip to main content

You are here

Advice about going to university

  • If you're thinking of going to university, make sure you say on your UCAS application form that you have a disability.

  • When you're deciding on which university to go to, contact a university's Disability Coordinator (which you will find on the university's website). The Disability Coordinator can advise you about the help that the university can give to students with SLCN, whether the course will suit you, and how to apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) (see below). Get more information about the help universities can offer students with Learning Difficulties or disability here.

  • You can apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) which is a grant that you don't pay back. The DSA will help students with Learning Difficulties such as SLCN to pay for support like a person to take notes in lectures. The DSA is worked out depending on each person's need but can be up to £20K per year for full time students.

  • Applying for the DSA can takes up to 3 months so get started well before you start university. Get information about applying for the Disabled Students Allowance here.
Was this information useful?: 
Average: 3 (1 vote)