Skip to main content

You are here

Organisations that can help

Afasic seeks to raise awareness and to create better services and provision for children and young people with speech and language impairments. The Afasic helpline is 0300 666 9410

Association of Speech & Language Therapists in Independent Practice 
ASLTiP provides information and a contact point for members of the public searching for a private Speech and Language Therapists in their area. We aim to empower parents, service providers andeducational settings with understanding about speech and language therapy intervention to enable people to achieve their communicative potential.

The Local Offer
The Local Offer serves to increase access to services for parents & carers of children with special educational needs (SEN), disability or disadvantage. Locate specialist education, health and social care services working with or on behalf of children and young people (0 – 25 years) with SEN and/or disability. Search by Provider Name, Postcode, or by Local Authority from the drop down menu here.

Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA)
IPSEA offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.

A national charity aiming to empower parents and carers of children with SEN to tackle successfully themselves the difficulties they face when battling for their children’s rights.

Ambitious about Autism
A national charity for children and young people with autism. They provide services, raise awareness and understanding.

The National Autistic Society 
The NAS champion the rights and interests of all people with autism and aim to provide individuals with autism and their families with help, support and services that they can access, trust and rely upon and which can make a positive difference to their lives.

Action for Stammering
The Charity’s mission is to ensure that every child and young person across the United Kingdom who stammers has access to effective services and support to help them meet the challenges created by their stammer.   

British Stammering Association 
British Stammering Association is the only national organisation for adults and children who stammer, run by people who stammer.

Michael Palin Centre
The Centre offers a specialist service to children and young people who stammer from all over the UK.

Contact (previously known as Contact a Family) provides support, advice and information for families with disabled children, no matter what their condition or disability.

Council for Disabled Children
Has an online library of resources that parents can access to find out more about disability policy and practice which includes a selection of materials specifically written with parents in mind.
There are Information, Advice and Support (IAS) services in every local area in England who provide dedicated and impartial advice to young people and parent/carers. You can find contact details for your local IAS here.

Mencap is the voice of learning disability. Everything we do is about valuing and supporting people with a learning disability and their families and carers.

Dyspraxia Foundation
The Dyspraxia Foundation can help and support you and your child through its services and publications. The Dysprxia foundation has a helpline and more information can be found on their website here.

Dyslexia Action 
A national charity that improves the lives of children with Dyslexia through education

Selective Mutism Information & Research Association (SMIRA)
SMIRA became a UK Registered Charity in 1992, having been set up initially to support families with selectively mute children. This work has since been extended to provide information to health and education professionals involved in the upbringing of such children and young people.

1Voice is a network of support and information for children who use communication aids, and their families.

Ace Centre North 
ACE Centre North provide help and expertise in the field of Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) and Assistive Technology (AT).

Ace Centre South 
The ACE Centre Advisory Trust provide personalised, independent assessment, research and development, advice and training services for people with severe physical and communication disabilities, and those who support them.

Auditory Verbal UK  
Auditory Verbal UK is a national charity which teaches deaf babies and children to listen and speak, so that they can achieve their full potential in life

The Makaton Charity 
Makaton is the UK’s leading language programme for children and adults with learning or communication difficulties. Makaton uses speech with signs and symbols to help people communicate. It can be used to develop communication, language and literacy skills.

The National Literacy Trust 
The NLT believe that society will only be fair when everyone can communicate as well as they need. NLT believe that with better literacy skills a greater number of people will have the opportunity to contribute more to society.

The Signalong Group is a registered charity dedicated to enabling children and adults with impaired communication to overcome difficulties at to reach their full potential.

Talk to Your Baby
A campaign run by the National Literacy Trust to encourage parents and carers to talk more to children from birth to three. The website has many useful resources for parents.

The Sequal Trust
A communication disability charity that aims to improve the quality of life for those living with severe learning disabilities, mobility issues and communication difficulties. Finding and funding the right electronic communication aid can be challenging and costly, so The Sequal Trust are here to help every step of the way

Was this information useful?: 
Average: 4.5 (2 votes)